A carefully selected set of indices covering the main climate-related hazards for Europe has been put together from available data sources by experts in the field. These 32 indices are organised according to 16 hazards and are grouped into six categories consistent with the ‘climatic impact drivers’ adopted in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report.
Climate change is happening and we need to get ready for more intense heatwaves, floods and storms, wildfires and water scarcity. Different climate-related hazards affect regions, sectors of the economy and members of society in different ways. Decision-makers need the best data and information to help them understand the imperatives and make the necessary preparations adapted to the different scenarios and likely consequences, at European, national and sub-national levels. Europes changing climate hazards, an interactive index-based EEA report, brings it all together with an overview of past and projected changes in Europes most important climate hazards
Features of the EEAs interactive climate hazards report and related products
Climate hazards are grouped under 32 indices and presented in a highly visual way to help decision-makers understand the challenges they face and prepare for them. The features of the report include:
- an index-based overview of past and projected changes in major climate hazards affecting Europe
- access to generalised or detailed information according to user needs in the European Climate Data Explorer
- insight into how various climate hazards affect different sectors
- the ability to zoom in on the data for a region or even a sub- region - for 15 of the 32 indices.
- interactive maps to better represent and communicate climate hazards to everyone affected.